Convert to another graduate research degree

If you're currently enrolled in a Masters (by Research) or another doctorate, you can apply to convert your degree to a PhD.

Download application form


  • Converting your degree only applies to students wishing to move from Masters (by Research) or other doctorates to a PhD.
  • It's best that you apply within the first six to 12 months of candidature.
  • Whenever you transfer or convert from one graduate research degree to another, it is considered a continuation of your student and any candidature time you have already completed will be credited in your new course.


If you're seeking to transfer your degree from PhD to MPhil or another research doctorate or from MPhil to Masters (by Research), see transferring your degree.

Next: Transfer to another graduate research degree