Study Away

Before you apply

  1. Read all of the information below before you apply.
  2. Download the Step-By-Step guide.
  3. View the policy and procedure for Student Travel and Transport.
  4. Discuss your plans with your supervisors.

Please note: Study Away is only for research-related activities carried out away from the University. If you are planning to take recreational leave, you should apply to take leave.

Supervision plan

If you will be on Study Away for more than three months, an external supervisor must be appointed, and they must be located where you are undertaking your research. If a suitable external supervisor cannot be appointed, a detailed plan of how supervision will be maintained must be attached to your Study Away application. This plan must include the method and frequency of communication with your supervisors.

Progress reviews and submission dates

  • During approved Study Away periods, your enrolment continues as usual, so progress reporting dates and your submission date do not change.
  • Discuss with your supervisors how you will meet any progress reporting deadlines that fall due while you are away.
  • Consider completing your report early or having the meeting remotely (for example, using a conference call or Skype).


  • Ensure that ethics approval has been granted (if required) for the duration of any Study Away period you may undertake.
  • For more information, visit Office of Research Ethics and Integrity and/or contact your graduate school ethics website or administrator.

Your safety

You are required to assess the potential risk to your safety in consultation with your supervisors. You should:

  • Ensure your fitness for travel and participation in the activity, including vaccinations.
  • Determine the safety of the method of travel to the site.
  • Assess the risks associated with the travel destination. For international travel, check the Travel Advisories on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) Smart Traveller website.
  • Assess the risks of the activity.

Risk assessment

  • If any of the hazards associated with the method of travel, activity or the destination are assessed as high risk, you must complete a risk assessment form.
  • This and other risk assessment tools can be found on the University Safety website.

International travel

Domestic students must register their overseas travel on the DFAT Smart Traveller website. It is recommended that international students, where possible, register their local address, contact details and next of kin with the nearest diplomatic mission of their home country and inform the diplomatic mission of any changes to these details.

Fieldwork in hostile places

If you are planning on undertaking fieldwork in a hostile and/or complex environment there is an intensive subject to help your preparations. For more information, visit Fieldwork in Complex and Hostile Places (DEVT90042).

High risk destinations

Travel to a region with a DFAT travel advisory warning of 'Reconsider your need to travel' or 'Do not travel' (high-risk country) will not normally be approved. If you wish to travel to a high-risk region, even if you're a citizen of that country, you must obtain an exemption from the University's Academic Registrar prior to departure.

To apply for an exemption to travel to a high risk destination you must email the Academic Registrar and include the following information:

  • Detailed information about your planned travel destination(s). You must include the addresses of the accommodation and location of where your research will be carried out, and a telephone number or numbers where you can be contacted whilst away
  • If you are a citizen of the country you intend to visit and/or you are staying in your family home
  • Details of the DFAT travel warning, addressing what hazards have been identified and what risk mitigation plan is in place for avoiding these hazards. Provide a plan for what you would do if caught in an emergency situation. It is recommended that you complete and attach the Travel to High Risk Destinations Risk Assessment from the Occupational Health and Safety Travelling and Working Off-campus website.
  • If you have undertaken or intend to complete Fieldwork in hostile places training prior to your travel
  • Supervisor support is essential. Please include a letter or email from your principal supervisor that supports the travel and acknowledges that the risks involved in this travel have been discussed.

Please note

  • Backdated requests will not be approved.
  • Study Away approval will be cancelled if the destination is reclassified with the advice of 'Do Not Travel' or 'Reconsider Your Need to Travel'.

Travel insurance

When studying away, you must have travel insurance which covers you for the duration of your trip.

  • You may be eligible for free travel insurance through the University, however strict conditions apply.
  • You must apply at least 5 University Business Days prior to departure.
  • If the University's travel insurance does not meet your needs, you must obtain travel insurance elsewhere that suits you better.
  • University-owned equipment, like computers, are covered by separate insurance.
  • If you are planning personal travel while on Study Away, travel insurance provided by the University may not cover you. Check with the Insurance Office before you apply.

Apply for travel insurance

Conference and travel support

  • Estimate the cost of your planned travel and consider how you will manage any unforeseen costs.
  • You are encouraged to apply for any travelling scholarships offered through the University or your graduate school.
  • Check with your school for programs and opportunities available to you.
  • Look for travelling scholarships on Melbourne Scholarships.
  • Check the Melbourne Scholarships notices page for announcements.
  • Other funding opportunities can be found on the JASON scholarship database.

Business cards

University of Melbourne business cards may be granted to you if you're undertaking fieldwork or face to face interviews/surveys/consultation where you need to be formally identified as participating in a supervised activity of the University.

Apply for business cards

Helpful links

Next: Apply now