Strategies for a Successful Start to your PhD (PGE1)
Postgraduate Essentials: Strategies for a Successful Start to your PhD (PGE 1) is for commencing graduate researchers. It provides you with academic and practical advice, information and skills for your degree, as well as opportunities for discussion with your peers and university experts in online forums and face to face workshops.
There are six essential modules:
- Starting your PhD
- Getting Organised
- Working with your Supervisor
- Searching the Literature
- Writing a Literature Review
- Preparing for Confirmation
PGE 1 is housed in the GReP, for access please login at the LMS login page, and find us in the communities tab. If you experience any difficulties accessing the GReP, please email us at email@example.com.
By completing Strategies for a Successful Start, PhD candidates can expect to:
- Understand the key stages and distinct challenges involved in postgraduate research
- Develop knowledge of time and task management issues, tools and resources
- Reflect on and clarify the roles and responsibilities of supervisors and students at the postgraduate level
- Explore the main browsers, search engines, bibliographic software, online databases, indexes and catalogues that they will use for conducting and recording literature searches
- Understand the requirements and elements of a literature review and a confirmation report
- Consider factors which contribute to the effective presentation of academic research.
PGE 1 in Semester 1, 2013
- Visit the PGE Discussion Boards to chat about any of the modules with your colleagues and the Senior Programs Officer, Academic Support during the scheduled blocks detailed below.
- Join in on live web chats with expert advisors throughout the semester—stay tuned to the GReP announcements for further info.
- You can also follow @PGEMelbourne on Twitter for updates, tips and articles relevant to graduate researchers.
- To find out more about UpSkills workshops that complement each PGE1 module, and for information on how to register please go to the UpSkills website.
Module 1: Starting your PhD 4-11 March
Module 2: Getting Organised 11-18 March
Module 3: Working with your Supervisor 18-25 March
Module 4: Searching the Literature 25-31 March
Module 5: Writing a Literature Review 15-22 April
Module 6: Preparing for Confirmation 29 April – 5 May
- Postgraduate Essentials 1: Strategies for a Successful Start
- Postgraduate Essentials 2: Completion and Beyond
- Global Research Ethics & Integrity Module
- Information for External Institutions: Purchasing MSGR Software & Publications
- Scholarly research on Postgraduate Essentials