Apply to lapse

Applying to lapse allows you to submit your thesis after your normal enrolment end date.

  1. You apply to lapse as part of your progress review meeting with your supervisors and advisory committee. Use the progress review form sent to you by your Graduate School.
  2. Complete the form with your advisory committee and return it to your graduate research administrator.
  3. If you are approved, your enrolment will become inactive, and changed to lapsed in good standing.
  4. This will allow you to submit your thesis (or its creative equivalent) after the expiration of your enrolment, including any extensions you have been granted.

Contact your graduate research administrator to request a copy of your progress review form if you have not already received it via email.


  • You may apply for lapse in good standing for up to two years for PhD students, and up to one calendar year for Masters (by Research) students.
  • Generally, lapsed candidature is only granted to you if you've completed the maximum course duration.
  • If you still need to use University facilities, work on University premises or require meetings with your supervisors, you should discuss your options with your advisory committee. In this case, an extension of candidature beyond the maximum usually allowed may be more appropriate.
  • If your candidature has been lapsed for some time it is possible that you may no longer be able to access University systems such as my.unimelb, or the Thesis Examination System. You may need to request that the access be reinstated by using the Special Access to University Facilities - Application for Reinstatement of Access form.

Next: Withdraw from my degree