Application and allocation procedures
- You must be a currently enrolled graduate researcher at the University of Melbourne. If you are on leave or have lapsed candidature you are not eligible. If you have submitted your thesis for examination you are not eligible unless you have received an examination outcome of ‘revise and resubmit’.
- You must have been unable to find adequate study space elsewhere on campus.
- You must require a study space for regular use.
- If you are ineligible on one of the grounds above, eligibility may be granted on the grounds of demonstrably difficult personal circumstances (such as medical issues, disability, economic hardship), or unusual academic needs. Evidence for this, such as letter from a staff member or University service, or medical certificate, must be provided.
- Application forms for study spaces are available on the GR Hub website.
- All applications must be submitted using the required application form.
- Applications must:
- be filled out in full with honest and accurate information;
- include a detailed explanation of the applicant’s need for a study space.
- You will be notified as soon as possible of the outcome of your application.
- If a time-shared space is approved; your student email address will be shared with those who will be occupying the same assigned space.
- If your application is successful you will have 14 days after a notification is sent to accept the offer and make arrangements for collecting keys.
- If you are unsuccessful you will be notified, informed of the appeals procedure and advised that you will be considered in the future as further study spaces become available.
- If after 14 days you have not responded to the offer of a study space, the space will be made available to other applicants.
- This process applies to new applications and applications for extensions to occupancy.
- The process for applicants to appeal is outlined on the Student Complaints and Grievances webpage.
- If you appeal a decision while occupying a tenured study space you will be permitted to remain in occupancy until notified of the outcome of the appeal.
- The decision of the academic registrar is final.
Publication authorised by Graduate Research(Student Administration), 13 July 2021