Change of commencement date
After you have already enrolled into or started your candidature, you may come across an error in the date recorded as the date you commenced your degree.
What is the commencement date?
The commencement date is the date from which you started your studies. You would have selected a commencement date when you applied for your degree, and would have confirmed it with the graduate research administrator who enrolled you.
How can I check your commencement date?
Check your commencement date on the first page of the confirmation or progress review form.
If you have transferred to another graduate research degree, the commencement date which appears on your form will be the date you started the new degree.
Why is it important that this date is correct?
Many dates related to your studies will be based on or calculated from your commencement date, including:
- your expected thesis submission date
- scholarship end dates
- the date by which you are expected to be confirmed in your candidature
- for international students, the expiration date of your visa. International students receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) letter that is required by the Department of Home Affairs for the student visa application.
When can a change be requested?
- When an administrative error has occurred.
- When you have evidence that you and your advisory committee (included your supervisors) agreed to a different commencement date than that recorded.
- When, due to reasons beyond your control, you didn’t commence you studies on the planned date.
Before you apply
Contact your local graduate research administrator to see if you are eligible to change your commencement date, and for advice regarding what you need to provide as supporting evidence.
Visa and scholarships holders
If you are a student visa or scholarship holder, you will need to contact Stop 1 regarding any impacts on changes to your commencement date.
Apply to change your commencement date
In your online application, you should include a clear description of the reason why your current commencement date is incorrect, and supply any evidence that supports the new requested commencement date.
If you already had started a form previously, please return to the form by clicking the green button below:
If you need to create a new form, please click on the blue button below:
- Step 1
- Submit the request form
- Step 2
- Receive an automated system email acknowledging your request has been submitted
- Step 3
- The request is assessed by principal supervisor
- Step 4
- If approved, the request is processed by an administrator
- Step 5
- Receive an automated system email acknowledging the outcome of your request
How to get help
Get technical help
Follow these steps to get help if you are having an issue with the online Change of commencement date form.
- See a list of known technical issues, and how to get around these
Get technical help
- If you cannot see your technical issue in the list above, or if you are having issues with your username or password, contact Stop1.
How to cancel a form
To learn how to cancel forms that you have submitted by mistake and need to withdraw; or if you have a list of started forms that you do not intend to submit for approval, click on the button below.
Get other form help
If you have a question about filling in the form, or your degree details on the online form are not correct contact your local graduate research administrator.
If you need more information about changing your commencement date, you can talk to:
- your supervisors
- your advisory committee chair
- your local graduate research administrator.
My commencement date has been changed – what’s next?
Student Services and Amenities Fees
Your change in commencement date may change how much you need to pay for your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).
An email will be sent to your University email account if a new invoice is issued. Australian citizens can apply to defer this payment. Refer to our Deferring the SSAF page for more information, and instructions on how to apply for a deferral of this payment.
Student visa holders
The University must notify the Australian Government Department of Education and Training and Department of Home Affairs of changes to your enrolment.
If your change in commencement date is by more than one month, the University’s Compliance and Reporting team will contact you regarding a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and any student visa implications.
You can get advice from the Visa support team.
Scholarship holders and sponsored students
Your change in commencement date will affect any scholarships that you hold. Refer to the Graduate Research scholarship terms and conditions for more information.
If you are paid a living allowance by an external party, it is your responsibility to advise your sponsor of the approved change to your commencement date.
For more information, contact the Scholarships team.