Withdraw from my research degree

Life provides its own challenges and if this is not the right time for you to complete your research degree at the University, you may want to consider withdrawing from your degree. If you wish to undertake a research degree with the University in the future you will be eligible to re-apply.

Apply to withdraw from your degree


You can withdraw from your research degree at any time except when:

  • The University has notified you of a recommendation to terminate your enrolment, or
  • Your thesis (or creative equivalent) has been submitted for examination.

If you are experiencing difficulty in your degree

Before you submit a request to withdraw from your degree, make sure you have read about how to Resolving problems or Contact your graduate school administrator or other UoM services for advice.

Before you apply

  • In all cases, you should discuss your circumstances with your supervisors before submitting an application.
  • Consider any implications for scholarships or sponsorships you may hold.
  • Student visa holders should also review the information and advice available on the International students page.
  • Read the Graduate Research Training Policy.