Advice on requesting changes

Guidance on how to apply to make changes to your enrolment and course.

When you enrol in your research degree at the University, you agree to certain arrangements that are documented on your student record. For example:

  • who your supervisors are
  • if you are studying full or part time
  • the department you will be based in
  • what your thesis title and research project is.

This is an agreement between you and the University. To apply to make a change, you must complete an application, gain approval from your supervisors (and any other relevant staff) and document the change on your student record.

You may need to apply for changes to your candidature as your research project changes over time or when your personal circumstances change.

If you have a chronic health condition, you are encouraged to register with Student Equity and Disability Services (SEDS).  SEDS can create an adjustment plan/document that recognises your needs but does not disclose your condition.  The academic adjustment plan supports you when negotiating your study adjustments with your supervisors. The adjustment plan will be held on your record.  You can refer to your adjustment plan when making leave or other relevant applications, rather than requiring separate medical certificates. If you register with SEDS you may also be eligible to apply for prospective periods of leave to account for anticipated recurring absences.  See the Managing leave for ongoing chronic health conditions section of Taking Leave

How do I apply to make a change to my candidature?

See making changes for a list of all the types of changes you can apply for, and tips for specific online applications.

Remember to follow the process below when making any changes:

  1. Discuss the change with your supervisors.
  2. Review online information to assess whether you're eligible (eg leave of absence rules).
  3. Review online information about the implications of the change (eg on your scholarship or student visa, thesis submission due date).
  4. Complete an online application.
  5. Wait for academic staff to review and approve or not approve your request.
  6. The change to your records is processed.
  7. Receive notification of the outcome of your application.

How can I get help with my application?

Get technical help

Follow these steps to get help if you are having an issue with an online form.

  1. See a list of known technical issues, and how to get around these
    Get technical help
  2. If you cannot see your technical issue in the list above, or if you are having issues with your username or password, contact Stop1.

Get other form help

If you have a question about filling in the form, or your degree details on the online form are not correct contact your local graduate research administrator.

Get advice

If you need more information about your application, you can talk to:

Will my request be approved?

Approval of your application to make a change is not guaranteed. An application that is made in consultation with your supervisors and that includes all relevant information is more likely to be approved.

Your supervisors may consider the following when making their decision:

  • restrictions or conditions for any scholarship held
  • if sufficient time is available for you to complete your research project
  • if the requested changes comply with relevant policy rules
  • if this change will support you to succeed in your studies
  • how this change will affect others (eg collaborators)
  • if your department has the resources (financial and other) for the duration of your degree
  • if your progress has been satisfactory.

How to increase likelihood of approval

A mutually agreed application to make a change will likely be approved if it is an allowable change under policy or scholarship and visa rules, and if all necessary information is provided for staff to be able to assess the request.

You can ensure this by following these steps:

  1. Discuss the change with your supervisors.
  2. Check online or with your local graduate research administrator that the proposed change is possible.
  3. Provide all necessary information to allow for a considered decision (eg exact dates, a summary of the reason for the change).
  4. Provide documents to support your application if relevant (eg a letter from your doctor in English or with a certified translation).
  5. Apply in advance when feasible (note that you must always apply for study away in advance of travel).

You may need to provide personal or sensitive information (eg a health issue or family matter) in order for your change of candidature application to be assessed. Please be assured that personal information provided in any application to make a change will be managed in accordance with the University’s Privacy Policy.

I’ve been asked to provide more information

How do I know if I need to provide more information in my application or progress review?

The email you receive from the University will list the required or additional information you need to provide.

What do I do now?

You should review any comments related to your application. The email from the University will include a link to the comments section of the online form.

If you’ve been contacted about a leave of absence application needing more information, the email from your graduate research administrator will include instructions on what you need to do.

Follow these steps to provide additional information when requested to do so:

  1. Make sure you understand what additional information needs to be provided.
  2. Collect the information (including any documents).
  3. Enter the information into the online form (click the link in the email from the University) and resubmit the form.

My application was rejected

There are a variety of reasons why an application to make a change may be unsuccessful (not approved). Often it is because the requested change is not allowed under policy, or simply because of a misunderstanding. Having a discussion with your supervisors or graduate research administrators can help clarify why an application wasn’t approved and what options are available to you.

How do I know if my application is rejected?

You will receive an email from the University notifying you if your application was unsuccessful.

Why was my application rejected?

You should review any comments related to your application. The email from the University will include a link to the comments section of the online form.

If you’ve been contacted about a leave of absence application not being approved, the email from your graduate research administrator should include information about why the application was not approved.

What do I do now?

If you are unsure why your application to make a change to your candidature was not approved, you can follow these steps:

  1. Contact your principal supervisor or local graduate research administrator and ask for feedback on your application.
  2. Based on their advice, you may be encouraged to resubmit your application to be assessed again.
  3. If you are not happy with the outcome of the application, you can follow the steps on resolving issues.

My supervisor has advised me that my application was rejected by mistake

You should contact your local graduate research administrator for advice. They will be able to assist you in resubmitting the application.