Taking leave

Leave of absence is a period of non-enrolment that may be granted for reasons such as sickness, family or carer responsibilities, which temporarily hinder your studies.

If you have any queries relating to the impact of COVID-19 on your travel or leave, please consult the Coronavirus (COVID-19): student advice and support pages.

When leave is approved, your expected thesis submission date and progress review due dates will be adjusted. You should check the terms and conditions of your scholarship and/or student visa for information on leave of absence restrictions, if relevant.

Please note: If you are travelling for research-related activities you should apply for Study Away rather than take leave.

How much leave can I take?

Only in compelling or compassionate circumstances may leave additional to the allocations mentioned in the table below be approved.

Minimum period

2 weeks

Except in the case of a partner leave application of five days; see additional entitlements.

Maximum period

12 months

Consecutive leave applications can total more than 12 months.

Accumulated maximum

12 months

24 months

Applies to you if you commenced or confirmed your degree after 1 January 2017.

Applies to you if you commenced or confirmed your degree before 1 January 2017.

*Note that the commencement date refers to the date you are enrolled in your candidature, not the admission date.

Additional entitlements

Both parental leave and recreational leave are considered to be separate entitlements and will not diminish your entitlement to other leave. Recreation leave is negotiated with your supervisor, but not recorded on your student record.

Parental leave (maternity, adoption leave and partner leave)

12 months per leave for primary carer

8 weeks per leave for partner of primary carer

Parental leave is available to you if:

  1. You are pregnant (maternity leave)
  2. You are a primary carer of your newborn child or a newly adopted child under sixteen years of age
  3. You are the partner of the primary carer of a new born or adopted child (partner leave).

You must submit a parental leave application with a doctor's or adoption certificate.

Recreation leave

4 weeks per calendar year (pro-rata)

Recreation leave is not recorded on your student record and will not alter your expected thesis submission date. You are not required to submit an application for recreation leave via my.unimelb, instead it is by arrangement with your supervisors and graduate school.

For more information, view the Graduate Research Training Policy (MPF 1321).

How do I get my leave approved?

Leave of absence approvals are at the discretion of your faculty or department. Sometimes a leave of absence application may not be considered the most appropriate variation of your candidature. You should discuss any planned leave of absence with your supervisor.

You are unlikely to be approved for a leave of absence if you are:

In the first half of probationary candidature

Leave of absence will only be approved in exceptional circumstances or for compassionate reasons.

In the last month of candidature

Leave of absence will only be approved in exceptional circumstances. You should apply for a leave of absence while also applying for an extension to candidature.

Applying for retrospective leave

Leave of absence must be applied for in advance, except in unavoidable circumstances. Your retrospective leave application must be submitted within 2 weeks of the date you returned to study and you must provide appropriate documentation (eg medical certificate).

Currently enrolled in coursework

You are not able to take leave while enrolled in coursework subjects. If leave is required, you will be withdrawn from any enrolled coursework subjects. Making changes to your enrolment after the subject census date listed in the Handbook can impact your fee liability and your Academic Record.

Completing a degree with live examination of a performance or exhibition or creative works Leave of absence will not be approved once your public performance or exhibition has been examined. The thesis must be submitted within 6 months of examination of a public performance or exhibition. This limit is measured in calendar months: part-time or full-time enrolment does not affect the 6 month limit, nor does leave of absence.

What supporting documents do I need?

In order for leave applications to be approved, documentation is required to be submitted for:

  • Retrospective applications
  • Maternity leave
  • Sick leave
  • Students who have had a total of more than 12 months LOA previously
  • Students 'at risk' or on unsatisfactory progress
  • Students applying for leave where leave is not normally approved
  • International students on a student visa.

The supporting documentation (such as medical certificates) needs to include relevant dates for the leave application. Documents in languages other than English require a certified translation.

International students on a student visa must also attach the following documents to the application:

How will leave impact my scholarship?

If you are granted leave of absence from your course, you will be automatically considered for scholarship leave - no separate application is required.

Your scholarship will normally be extended by the duration of your leave. However, scholarship payments will be suspended while you are on leave unless the conditions of your scholarship include paid leave provisions (e.g. additional sick or maternity leave).

Not all research scholarships provide full leave entitlements. Please refer to the scholarship terms and conditions (available in your offer letter) to find out more.

The further information below applies to scholarships which are subject to our graduate research scholarship terms and conditions.

Paid leave

To access your paid leave entitlements, make sure you provide supporting documents (e.g. a medical certificate) with your leave of absence application. If there is insufficient documentation to support paid leave we will try to contact you, however your payments may be suspended until we have received additional documentation.

If you have consumed your paid leave entitlements, your scholarship payments will be suspended for any further periods of leave of absence.

Retrospective leave

If you are granted leave of absence retrospectively and you are not entitled to paid leave, you may be required to return scholarship payments to which you are not entitled.

Usually this is done by withholding scholarship payments (in full or in part) on your return from leave. In some cases, we seek repayment via electronic bank transfer.

If this occurs we will contact you and provide further details.

Returning from leave

When your return from leave of absence has been confirmed, scholarship payments will resume from the first available pay day.

There might be a small reduction in the first payment if this pay day falls in the same week as your return from leave is processed. However, the following payment will include a back payment for this reduction.

Apply for leave

You will need digital copies of your supporting documentation.

Apply for leave

Return from leave

When you return from a leave of absence, you are required to notify the University. This is especially important if you are studying with a scholarship.

Return from leave