A limited number of tenured study spaces (TSS) are available in the 1888 Building for currently enrolled eligible graduate researchers under the following conditions:
- you are unable to find adequate study space elsewhere on campus, and;
- you require a study space for regular use; or
- on the grounds of demonstrably difficult personal circumstances (such as medical issues, disability, economic hardship), or unusual academic needs.
The allocation of these spaces is managed by the Graduate Research (Student Administration) team on receiving an application.
Before you apply
In addition, preference will be given to graduate researchers who:
- Are nearing the end of your candidature, that is you are in your last year and are at the final writing up stage
- Are under examination and have received examiner’s reports that require significant changes to your thesis
- Due to various reasons, it is impossible or not feasible for you to study in your department/faculty building
How to apply
Please note that assessment of an application can take up to two weeks after the application round ends.
A full-time study space in a room with multiple desks, shared with others.
A part-time study space with one desk, with usage negotiated with one other person. Only one person may work in this space at a time.
The newly refurbished 1888 Building at the University of Melbourne Parkville Campus, is managed by the University’s Stop 1 team. For all enquiries related to building access and room hire, please contact Stop 1 directly:
Within Australia: 13 MELB (13 6352)
Outside Australia: +61 3 9035 5111
Monday to Wednesday: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Thursday and Friday: 10am – 5.00pm
To report facility or maintenance issues, please use the Snap, Send, Solve application.
The 1888 Building is accessible to you from 8am – 11pm, Monday to Sunday.
Please note you are advised to carry your student card with you at all times when accessing the 1888 Building.
Each space is set up with the following:
- Sit-stand desk
- task chair
- lockable pedestal for secure storage of research material (1 per occupant).
- shelf unit
- network cables to connect your laptop
If you have any questions regarding your application or when you are occupying a study space, please refer to the following areas as appropriate.
GR candidature - for application and allocation of TSS enquires
Stop 1 - for keys, lockers, OH&S and OHS inductions, facilities related enquiries related to building
Snap Send Solve – for maintenance issues
Security – for access, building hours
GSA - for building inductions, engagement events and activities